This page is under construction. Many pictures need be loaded and displayed. JMB



Bobby Goss, Unknown, Dewitt Dixon, Me

About 1970

by James M. Blass


Air Traffic Controller (GS-2152), Retired

Naval Air Test Facility, Patuxent Naval Air Station, Lexington Park, MD 1978-1988

(Federal Aviation Administration,  Air Traffic Representative)

Andrews AFB, Camp Springs, MD 1959-1977

United State Air Force 1959-60, Federal Aviation Agency/Administration 1960-1977

(Approach Control - Radar - GCA - Control Tower)

Frankfurt International Airport/Rhein-Main AB, Frankfurt, Germany 1954-1958

United States Air Force

(Approach Control)

Hunter AFB/Turner AFB, Savannah & Albany, GA, 1954

United States Air Force

(Ground Controlled Approach [GCA])

1973rd AACS Sqdn., OL# 2 & OL# 78, Taegu, Korea 1953-1954

United State Air Force

(Air Route Traffic Control Center)

Bergstrom AFB, Austin, TX  1952-1953

(Air Traffic Control Tower)

Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS  1952

United States Air Force

(Control Tower-AFSC 27231 & ARTCC-AFSC 27230 [MOS 996] Schools)


I arrived at Andrews AFB, 1909th AACS (Air and Airways Communication Squadron) on Jan 12, 1959 as a Staff Sergeant, AFSC27270. My previous assignment was Frankfurt Approach Control (Rhein-Main Air Base) Germany. I had spent 4 years at Frankfurt.

I began work in the RAPCON. The RAPCON building and CPN-18 Surveillance Radar antennae tower were located on Virginia Avenue in the middle of what was then an 18 hole golf-course in the southern reaches of the base. Later the remaining 27 holes were built.

The operational portion of the air base was mostly areas of scrub pine and bushes intersected by runways, taxiways and revetments.

The Control Tower was in a fairly remote section of the base. It was across the runways from the original main portion of the establishment, which at that time was on the east side of the installation. It was about 50 feet from the present tower location.

Base Operations was just south of the present Air Force Reserve ramp area. There was another hanger just south of the operations building. That hanger burned down during a snowstorm on Christmas Eve, I believe, in about 1967. It was being used at that time for staging snowplows and equipment and the vertical exhaust stack of one of the machines blew some sparks into the roof area and the fire became uncontrollable.

The only other major aviation facility on the west side of the base until 1961 was the Brown Hanger, then and still when I left Andrews in 1978, the "Speckled Trout" hanger. There were barracks on the west side of the field and the Air Force Development Command Headquarters located where it stands now. Almost all the administrative offices of the base were located on the East Side of the base.

The RAPCON was in a World War II command center building with the RAPCON room in the War Room position. ( See pictures) The room was about 40 by 30 feet and floor to ceiling, two stories tall, extending from the basement through the first floor at ground level. Along the walls of the length of the room were overhanging mezzanines, then boxed in, which had obviously been overlook positions to the situation tables on the basement floor.

There were 12-inch wide channels cut into the floor for cable runs. These were capped by steel plates.

The PAR was a rotating FPN-16 Precision Radar on runway 1-19(now 01R-19L) remoted to the control room by cable.

Below is a picture of the RAPCON control positions after they were repositioned in 1960.

The CPN-18 surveillance radar antenna was on the south side of the building on a 40-foot tower. Tape recorders and radio switching equipment were located in a room off the side of the control room. In 1959 there was a VG (battleship radar) horizontal display about two feet in diameter, on which ASR approaches were accomplished. You could select blue targets on white background or the reverse. This equipment was taken out during a relocation of equipment in about 1960/1.


The control tower was a 1950s standard brick and concrete USAF tower. It was located about 50 feet to the East-North-East of the present FAA tower. The backup power was a generator on the first floor and an elevator rose to the 5th floor after which one climbed three flights of stairs to the cab.                                                                     

That is my Chevy station wagon in the foreground. The VW bus belonged to George Thompson. You can see the beginning of construction of the present tower structure next to George’s van.

The telephone equipment was a Bell Telephone 102A system maintained by Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Company.

In 1959 the airport had four active runways, 1,19,13 and 31, none over 7000 feet.  Runways 10 and 28 had just been closed the year before but were scheduled for reopening after some airport construction. Runways 5 and 23 had been closed some years earlier. The main ramp was on the east side of the airport and didn‘t extend south of where Navy Operations is now.  The Air Defense Alert barns were where they stand today though they are no longer used for that purpose. They are now part of the Air National Guard complex.

The B-29 "Enola Gay" fuselage and a B-25 modified with a jet in its fuselage were in a fenced off area near what had been runways 5 and 23. The base gates were all open with no checking of passes or vehicles. The open gates were the Main Gate on the Northeast corner of the field, Dower House Road gate, Forestville Road gate and AFDC gate. The Suitland Road Main Gate did not exist. 

Other than on-base snack bars, of which none were on the west side of the base, the only take-out restaurants within five miles were, Joe's El Rancho on old route 5 and Alexandria Ferry Road, Tucker's on Marlboro Pike east of Dower House Road and the Skyline in Morningside, not counting "The Barn" in Morningside. The "Barn" was hillbilly joint, which was in a building that had been a barn. It was on the base side of the American Legion in Morningside.

Swing and Mid-shift lunches were mostly brown bags. The day shift was normally split at noon so there were four shifts a day; mid-night to seven, seven to noon, noon to four and four to mid-night. Remember this was an Air Force operation so no eight-hour days and forty hours a week were required.

Major William Graham was the Detachment commander; Capt. Papyzinski was the RAPCON officer. He was a P-51 pilot from the second "Big One". M/Sgt Thomas Croke was the NCOIC of the RAPCON and M/Sgt Donald Greenlee was the Tower Chief. By the way Don died in 2003. I was assigned to a shift and began learning the local situation at Andrews

We, Andrews Approach Control, had a nice geographical area though severely truncated to the north and west because of traffic to and from Washington National, Bolling AFB and Anacostia Naval Air Station, all operational airports with towers and IFR capability supplied by Washington Approach Control.

When we operated to the south even a five-mile final approach was infringing on the Washington Approach airspace. This was not changed until Paul Peterson was assigned as FAA Air Traffic Representative in 1959 just after I arrived at Andrews. He immediately saw the problem and coordinated a flip-flop area to the north, which gave Andrews about a ten-mile final for runway 19. A prime departure route from Washington National was take-off on runway 3 direct to the Riverdale Intersection (which was then an NDB), direct Baltimore Range (Low Frequency Adcock type). That track crossed about 8 miles north of Andrews.

The 1959 Approach Control Area from memory:

On a line 1 mile west of the final for 1 and 19 (now the East runway 01R/19L) to the north about 3 miles then northeast to 15 mile arc of the ADW TACAN (no VOR or VORTAC on the airport, in fact not many Victor airways were extant in 1959) then clockwise on the 15 mile arc through the Shadyside Radio Beacon (located at the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay and on the North East leg of the Andrews Low Frequency Range. About the 060 radial of OTT) and including its TSO-N-20A (Technical Standing Order) holding pattern on Green5? to the northeast. Continuing clockwise to the Huntingtown Radio Beacon (Located near the town of Huntingtown) and its holding pattern to the southeast on Red 47? then clockwise to where the Charlotte Hall Radio Beacon was until about 1958 and then clockwise to a line parallel and west of runway 1 direct to the beginning. At 4000 feet and below except that area south of Green 5 (which lay over the Andrews Low Frequency Range located at the present Outer Marker location at Brandywine and became essentially Victor 16) which encompassed the jet penetration from Patuxent Low Frequency Range.

The jet penetration procedure started at Patuxent Low Frequency Range or VORTAC proceeding westbound at 20000 feet to a turn straight in to runway 1 descending as the turn began and reaching 4000 or below prior to reaching a point about 15 miles final which was (L/F) low frequency airway Green 5’s and Victor 16’s southern boundary south of the Andrews Adcock L/F Range station at Brandywine. That was the approach control area plus an Air Defense Climb Corridor on the 060 radial of the Andrews TACAN. Of course this corridor was only active when a real "scramble" was in progress.

Andrews Approach Control ran both the arrival and departure control directly with Washington Center. The only contact we had with Washington National was the occasional west departure and I do mean occasional. There was a coordination line, open speaker type, I believe the number was 37GL465, the parties were Anacostia Tower (ANNIE), Bolling Tower (BO), Washington Tower (WASH) and Andrews Tower (ANDREWS).

When the Boeing 707's(VC-137), 86970, 86971 and 86972 were acquired for Presidential use there was a need to transfer the flight activities of the President from Washington National to Andrews because the runways and ramps at National could not support the flight requirements of the B-707(VC-137). The Presidential airplane prior to the VC-137 was a C121(L649), the Columbine. Dulles International had not been built and Andrews AFB was the closest and most secure place from which to fly the President and other VIP's. Military Air Transport Service (MATS) had a squadron, the 89th, based at National Airport for VIP operations.

There was a Project in the Federal Aviation Agency called "Operation Friendship". It was established in 1958 the same year the FAA was established. The thought at that time was that the FAA could eventually become the one agency providing Air Traffic Control, Flight Check and Facilities Maintenance of the nations airspace and its systems. This project began in 1958 and was in high power by 1959. Though Andrews was not on the original list for take-over it became the number one station by some time in 1959. Prior to 1958 there was no FAA. The Civil Aeronautics Administration under the Commerce Department was the civilian ATC authority and the military handled their own air traffic control with some local agreements and a Handbook called the ANC (Army-Navy-Civilian) manual which had the basic separation criteria (non-radar). Special addendums were created for radar separations.

The Air Force and FAA signed a Phase One agreement sometime in late 1959, which was a test-bed for the “Operation Friendship” and to establish a more stable cadre of personnel for the VIP operations at Andrews, and the first FAA personnel (Dick Jones and Frank Hoffa, no not THAT Hoffa) arrived on Andrews AFB in May or June 1960.

A Chief Controller and Assistant Chief Controller plus five Watch Supervisors and a Maintenance Chief arrived at Andrews in January of 1960 to begin their familiarization with the airport and operation.

They were:

 Chief Controller-

                    Charles Stratton from Cleveland Tower

     Assistant Chief Controller-

                    Paul Petersen (ATREP at ADW) originally a controller at Washington ARTCC

     Watch Supervisors:

         Leroy Dibble from Columbus Tower

         Harold Doebler from ?

         Curtis Gibson from Cincinnati Tower                                     

          Charles Lange from Griffis RAPCON

         William Sargent from Washington Tower

     Maintenance Chief-

                    Jim Brinkley

To my knowledge all but Bill Sargent have passed away.

As stated above, the first FAA controllers to arrive were Richard Jones (died about 1980)and Frank Hoffa (never completed training at ADW), both INSAC (Flight Service Station) operators. The first direct hire from the USAF controller contingent was Charles Bennett in August of 1960. In all, 10 Andrews USAF controllers were hired the day after their discharge from the military:

NOTE: All data current April 2011

          Charles Bennett (FAA medical retirement due to hearing), now deceased, last lived in Lewes, DE.

          Roy Wolf (went to Washington National and subsequently to Norfolk), reportedly died about 2005

          James Blass (author-went to Patuxent as ATREP), lives in Mechanicsville, MD.

          Edward Podpora (went to a Pennsylvania ATCT retired from Eire Tower), lives in PA.

          Edward Pleasants (went to Baltimore Tower & Norfolk),lives near Norfolk, VA.

          Wayne Rupert (went to Milwaukee & Pittsburg),lives in PA.

          Richard Lavato (died of cancer),

          John Hagerhorst (left FAA for college now lives in Northern Maryland),

          Jerry Gardner (went to Roanoke),???.

          Benjamin Driggs (San Juan, P.R., Fort Lauderdale and HQ in Washington)

Later hires of former Andrews military and civilians were:

           Rolf Melvin (retired from USAF at ADW and worked as the civilian Training Officer for the Air Force in 1957-58), (Retired from           ADW, died 2004)

          William Dempsey, Captain USAF (Retired), (Last Detachment Commander of the 1909th AACS at Andrews, went to Charleston,           SC),

          Donald Greenlee (retired from ADW, died 2003),

          Jack Rossell (Was originally hired at ZDC. After ADW went to Washington National, Eastern Region HQ and then to Norfolk)           Lives near Norfolk, VA.

For almost two years the controllers were a mixture of military and civilian. Some military were not hired merely because of their contract with the military and they were not available. Two that I remember distinctly were Clarence Maddox (last worked in Minneapolis and died about 2005)and Bobby Shumate. Both would have been excellent acquisitions for the FAA but they had the wrong discharge dates. They were caught by the construction of the Berlin Wall, which caused the military to force their personnel make commitments before the FAA could offer positive appointments. By late 1961 all the military were gone and the Tower and RAPCON were fully staffed with FAA employees.

Project "Operation Friendship" came to an end in FAA, both ATC and AFS, sometime in 1961. One of the problems was that the Air Force and FAA couldn't agree on how the dilemma of a Military Commander who couldn't order the Controllers on "his" base and Tower to do certain things with "his" (the military commanders) aircraft if the FAA controller felt that it was a violation of standards the controller was required to apply. Plus many other such situations that might occur.

Charles "Chuck" Stratton (Who finished his FAA career in Miami), the first FAA Facility Chief at Andrews was a Navy pilot during WWII in the Pacific and a controller at Cleveland prior to Andrews.

The following is my understanding of the occurrences. They may not be accurate, as I was not in the management hierarchy at the time.

C. Stratton was successful at Andrews until he tried to keep the FAA procedures instead of some military (USAF) procedures. (See above) The military procedures had not been included in the FAA procedures handbook and were military supplements to the ANC (Army Navy Civilian) book of procedures. The military procedures were required of only military facilities and controllers. The military apparently put the pressure on through the regional office and when Stratton tried to argue with the Region about this policy, he lost, and was replaced by Robert Logan, future first Chief of Dulles Tower. During this period the FAA was trying a "NEW" management structure. It had Area Offices. They didn't work in the management scheme of things. (See Area Coordinators or whatever they now called). The structure was from the Facility Manager to the Area Office to the Regional Office to National HQ. Logan was somewhat temporary and was replaced by Robert Beck. Beck succumbed to the vagaries of office politics. One of which was created by yours truly.

I wrote a letter, through channels, to the FAA Administrator about the inclusion of certain military procedures in the FAA Handbook which created non-standard or different phraseology for the same procedure, merely because the controller was located at a different services airport. I lost. He lost by backing me and became Chief of Toledo Tower.

Beck was replaced by Ernie Levine.  Ernie wanted to go back to the New York area where his family was most happy and Robert Hass replaced him, Hass had been a controller at LaGuardia Tower and a Specialist in the Regional Evaluations Office. Hass remained for many years. Bob Hass retired in 1980. I left for Patuxent Naval Air Station and the ATREP job in 1978 with the assistance of Mr. Hass.

The airport was changing. During 1960 and 61 runway 13/31 was closed and the whole airport was rebuilt. First runway 1/19 was lengthened 2000 feet (from 7000 to 9000) on the south end. Then the construction of the west runway was begun. Runway 13/31 was used for many months while the earth was removed and rearranged to the north and south of it. At one time a mobile TPN-42, GCA, was located for approaches to runway 31. The hangers on the west side of the airport were being built.

All the while the basic missions of the airport proceeded. Flying time for the Pentagon pilots (4 hours per month to get flying pay - called Combat Readiness Training), Air Defense Command F106 scrambles, 459th Reserve C-119 operations, F-86 and F-100 Air National Guard operations. 

Some VIP operations such as Premier Khrushchev of the USSR. His plane, a Tupelov 114, landed on runway 19 (now 19L) turned around on the runway and taxied north, turned around and deplaned the passengers on the runway in front of the then Base Operations. A special stairway had to be built on a pick-up truck to accommodate the fuselage door of the TU-114.  It was about 15 feet higher than any we had in the US.

Due to my recent tour in Germany and my knowledge of the metric system I was selected to control the arrival of the Russian aircraft. It made a long visual approach from about 12 miles North of the field.

One day in 1960 while in training on Local Control, I had never had a Tower Operators Certificate, Approach Control called and said they had a T-33, low on fuel south of the airport. I was in training because all my experience had been in ARTCC and Approach Control plus a little time in GCA and my first 5 months out of tech school in Bergstrom and Matagorda Towers was not enough to acquire a CTO Certificate.

Approach Control said they would vector the T-33 to “High Key” over the field and then switch him to us. The weather was VFR with some fluffy summer day clouds at about 4000 feet. High Key was 8000 and then the aircraft would descend in a right turn and turn base leg at about 4000 keeping the speed up by descent and only slow on short final.

Everything went well until the aircraft came on tower frequency. The aircraft should have been in sight to the east of the runways while in descent. We couldn’t see him. He reported “Low Key”, which should place him about 2 or 3 miles east south east of the runway. The approach was to runway 01. There was no 01 Left or Right because the west runway hadn’t been commissioned. We still couldn’t see him. I cleared him to land on runway 01. Finally somebody saw him, in a left turn to final from the WEST. As he rolled out on final at about 150 feet above ground I saw he was lined-up for the bright white concrete new runway. There were oil drums, trucks and men on that runway completing the construction of it.

I transmitted, “Air Force 35086, go around, go around, you’re on the wrong runway!”. Nothing happened, he kept descending straight at the construction crews. I then banked the whole frequency selector panel. Twenty frequencies. Again I transmitted the “Go Around” message. Finally, at about 80 feet above ground and just at the approach end of the runway he started a right bank which eventually took him to the now East runway. He overshot slightly and then slipped back left onto the runway touching down about 4500 feet from the north end. He turned off at the north end of the runway. When the crash trucks arrived at the aircraft they reported the engine stopped and both main tires flat. They later fueled the T-33 with 813 gallons of JP-4, (The maximum amount of fuel carried by a T-33 with tip tanks.) replaced the tires and gave the pilot a lesson on fuel management. He had flown from Shepperd AFB in Texas to Andrews.

Finally the basic construction was completed. SAM operations began with C-118s, C121s, CV580s, VC137s (86970,71,72) &  VC135s. President Eisenhower began flying from Andrews. He sometimes took control of his own helicopter. It was a Bell type with only two or four seats. It was one with the bubble canopy where you could see everyone in it. He waved as he went past the tower.

Then Anacostia Naval Station and Bolling Air Force Base stopped operating as airfields. Almost all the aircraft came to Andrews. There were over 400 fixed wing aircraft based at

Andrews. The types were: AD5, C45 (SNB), T28, T33, F100, F106, C47, B25, C54, C118, C121, VC137, VC140, T39, C119, S2, CV580, C131, VC6, B26. The day of the migration of most of the Anacostia Naval Base aircraft was memorable, especially for Charlie Wasmus (Medical retirement, now lives in Florida) who was working local control. He had so many aircraft in the pattern for 01R that no one (except maybe himself) knew what was who(m). They all landed safely? I guess.

The first day the Navy, Marines, Air National Guard and Air Force all tried to get a full set of sorties was a disaster. It was a Monday and the visibility was 3 miles with a high overcast. The Base flying regulation required an IFR flight plan if the visibility was less than 5 miles. This meant everyone filed IFR. The system in place couldn't handle the paperwork.

First there were no strip printers and computers in the Tower. Luckily for the Center controllers there was a Flight Data computer that printed strips in Washington Center. Nothing to or in the Towers. The pilot worked up his flight plan, put his DD175 on the Base Operations Dispatchers desk and went to his airplane. The Dispatcher then transmitted the Flight Plan to the Center by Teletype and called the Tower with the proposal information, Identification, Type of aircraft, proposed time of departure and I think destination and the information whether IFR or VFR.

This day the Tower had both USAF and USN Base Operations calling flight plans to the Tower Data position. The Tower had room for about 20 strips in the strip bay. Within the first hour there were at least 40 proposals called up and more coming.

Generally we had always given requesting pilots taxi instructions to the runway and then begun coordination with the Center for Enroute Clearance. About two thirds of the aircraft were piston driven so time spent at the run-up pad was not too much of a penalty. In no time this day, there were aircraft, jet and prop, backed-up to Taxiway 5 (the mid-field taxiway) on both sides of the field waiting for Enroute clearance. The strips in the Tower were unman-age able. All in all a total disaster. Black Monday Indeed!

Well, within the week we had an established "Controlled TKOF Time" assigned by Operations when the pilot filed. This was standard except for the VIP operations. It worked well. I remember an IFR day I was able to clear 40 IFR flight plan aircraft off in one hour with proper separations and no complaint from pilots or other facilities. This was also after Washington had taken the Approach and Departure Control responsibilities.

FAA began building the new tower.

Ah yes, the consolidation of the approach and departure services for Andrews into Washington Nationals IFR Room. That was a fun period. One must remember this is being written from MY point of view and therefore may not be the memory of others who were involved. 

I remember in the first few weeks of the consolidation of the two rooms traffic, we had to have a coordinator listening on the Approach Control frequencies because the hand-offs from Washington Approach Control to Andrews ‘Radar’ happened so close to the last phase of the approach and Andrews was working a radar pattern to the final with our own aircraft into which the Approach traffic had to be melded. The problems of Jet aircraft with final approach speeds as high as 195 knots (F105) and C47 ’Gooneybirds’ at 95 kts becomes somewhat difficult when the hand-off of the fast-mover is only 15 miles final with the ’Gooney’ on final ahead. Any attempt at other than first-come first-served was not thought of as good form, except for VIP traffic. This caused many a temper to flare because “MY” traffic should have precedence over “YOUR” traffic.

Another part of the problem was that all the instrument flight plan traffic was given a radar approach, either PAR or ASR. There was no ILS at the time.

Then a few years later the ASR at Andrews was remoted to Washington. Some fairly hefty arguments then ensued when the Approach Control wanted to get rid of all the ‘noise’ around the antennae and did so by reducing the IF gain and Andrews Radar couldn’t see any targets on the short final and ASR approaches became impossible. These and many other philosophical differences created a sometimes difficult working relationship.

One evening shift while still in the old RAPCON building at the golf course we had a busy shift. Five of us, that was normal complement at the time, a Coordinator, a Pattern Controller, a Flight Data position and two Final Controllers (GCA type), conducted 100 GCA approaches on the 8 hour shift. We were a bit busy. The only other controller I remember that evening was Ed Pleasants. It wasn’t unusual for a controller to conduct over 2500 GCA finals in one year and that was while rotating through all the positions in the RAPCON and Tower. Remember a work year is 2040 hours minus sick and annual leave.

In the winter of 1967-68, I believe, there was a big snowstorm on the East Coast. I Mean BIG. The snow began on Friday. I was on day shift in the RAPCON over the weekend. The snow continued through Saturday. By the time we were relieved by the swing shift Saturday at 4 o’clock there was about 6-8 inches on the ground. I knew there was to be more snow so I got up early on Sunday morning. It was still snowing.  I needed extra time so I could get my car ready for the fifteen-mile drive to work. I went outside my house in Kent Village and began shoveling my car out and preparing a starting lane. I put chains on the rear wheels of my Dodge Valiant and tried to drive away. It went to the first un-shoveled snow and rode up unto it like a sled. More shoveling. Finally at about 6:30 AM I walked to the corner of my cul-de-sac and looked up the street. There was a jeep swung cross-wise in the street. I then decided I probably couldn’t go anywhere.

I called the Tower and said I couldn’t get to work that morning. The whole airbase was shut down. The runways were closed. There were snowplows stuck in the middle of the runways. The plows had run out of gas and the refueling trucks couldn’t get to them. The mid-shift controllers, Christobal Matiz and Richard Jones, going to work in the RAPCON had slid off the side of the road at the intersection of Virginia Avenue and Perimeter Road and had to walk in. They didn’t get out for three days. Charlie Wasmus the Saturday swing shift supervisor had let everyone from the RAPCON go home early and was trapped with Chris and Dick. Helicopters dropped them some “C” rations on Sunday. The snow finally ended sometime Sunday night with over 28 inches on the ground. The only controller who arrived to work on Sunday morning was Richard Howroyd and he reported to the Control Rower. He had worked in Buffalo and was very familiar with deep snow.

The total traffic count for airport operations in, I believe it was 1960 or 61, was over 250,000. Of course the airspace was configured differently. There was a Control Zone and Airways, but, no other restrictions to VFR flight than standard VFR, (1000-3). No special zones 15 and 20 miles around airports and “Maintain VFR” was the controllers’ friend. Almost all the traffic was conducted between 6 A.M. and 11 P.M.

Jim Blass, “BS”,

Revised January 2013

Note from Hank Heggins: The 2 Chiefs to follow Bob Haas were Charlesann Neugebarger (she was on during the strike) and Larry Bicknell. Will send more info later. Hank 5/10/04

Note from Ed Pleasants:

The other person hired was Ben Driggs, he went to San Juan, Ft. Lauderdale and then Washingto HDQ, don't know whereto from there. Doebler, Logan and Brinkley came from ORF.

 Roy Wolff passed away about five or six years ago.
Jack Rossell retired here at ORF as Area Supervisor.
I (ED Pleasants) retired on September 3, 1988. Retired from Naval Air Reserves on August 31, 1991 (Went inactive Dec 1970 after transferring from Baltimore.(Went to BAL vs DCA).
Overall you did quite very well in relating your experiences. If I run across some information that you can use, I will send to you.   Again it was great talking with you. Easy Papa (Edwin Pleasants) 8/19/08

RAPCON 1962 Original Configuration

Night-time in ADW Tower 1963

1963  ASR-5 Arrival Position